May is the month when we say goodbye to spring and say hello to summer. In this season, fruits and vegetables are diversified and the market stalls become colorful. In order to eat healthy, you need to consume the right fruits and vegetables on time. In addition, when vegetables and fruits are consumed in season, their nutritional values will be higher and they will be more delicious.
First of all, I would like to remind you that feeding with seasonal vegetables and fruits will increase our immunity and protect us against diseases.
Vegetables and fruits vary according to climatic conditions and months. Vegetables and fruits that help strengthen immunity also add flavor to your tables. Accordingly, in order to get a high level of vitamins, you need to know what fruits and vegetables are in May and what foods you should have on your table this month.
It is important to consume fruits and vegetables in season for a healthy diet.
What should be considered when choosing fresh fruits & vegetables in May?
- When buying vegetables and fruits from the market or the market, instead of choosing large and ostentatious fruits; Small and neat looking ones should be preferred.
- Care should be taken that it is not rotten, shriveled, juicy and has not lost its distinctive smell.
fruits; If you do not have diabetes, insulin resistance and thyroid diseases, you can make jam outside of May and consume it as recommended by your expert dietitian.
vegetables; In consultation with your specialist dietitian, you can consume it outside of May, provided that it is frozen in season. If you do not have hypertension, thyroid and kidney diseases, you can consume it in canned form.
It should not be forgotten that the amounts to be consumed are specific to the individual and diseases.
With the arrival of May, the weather begins to warm up. Now, lighter foods are started to be consumed and meals are shaped according to these foods. Fresh food not only provides health benefits, but also saves money on food. In order to make the best use of May and to include these foods while preparing meals, the list of vegetables and fruits for May is as follows:
- Cucumber, which is one of the building blocks of a healthy diet with its fibrous structure, is known for its cooling effect in hot weather.
- This vegetable, which is especially used for making salads and pickles, contains plenty of water.
- It adapts to almost all meals and contains Omega 3 as well as potassium.
- It is beneficial for Alzheimer’s disease and protects brain health.
- It helps to meet the daily water needs.
- It is a useful food for those on a diet.
- It is beneficial for skin health and is used in some cosmetic products.
2) Sea Beans
- The sea cowpea grown by the sea is the vegetable of the spring months.
- It is consumed by making a salad. The taste is salty and sour.
- While it can be consumed with a mixture of lemon, olive oil and garlic, it can also be consumed with yogurt.
- It strengthens the immune system as it is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- It reduces inflammation and prevents damage caused by free radicals.
- It maintains the cholesterol level. It prevents the accumulation of fat in the liver, heart and blood vessels.
- Due to the presence of plenty of magnesium in it, it provides sleep patterns.
- Lettuce is one of the indispensable vegetables of the salad. But before putting it in the salad, it should be thoroughly cleaned.
- It creates a feeling of satiety and is a vegetable that can be consumed raw.
- It is healthy because it is a source of vitamins.
- It contains vitamin K, which strengthens bones.
- There is a significant amount of water in lettuce, which keeps the body hydrated.
- It prevents yellow spot disease because it contains vitamin A.
- It has sleep-inducing properties.
- The texture of eggplants is similar to tomatoes. Eggplant, which is a source of vitamins and nutrients, is used in most dishes.
- Eggplant, which adds flavor to your tables in almost every meal; It is rich in vitamin C, phosphorus and copper.
- The high fiber content in it helps to improve the digestive system.
- It is rich in potassium and thus helps to keep the pulse stable.
- It accelerates the blood flow to the brain, therefore it strengthens the memory.
- The iron and calcium ratio in eggplant improves bone health.
- Tomato, which has various names such as tomato, buckthorn and tomato, is among the vegetables of May.
- Tomatoes, which are nutritious in terms of nutritional values, are a great source of vitamins.
- In almost most dishes, tomatoes are used to flavor the food and are one of the indispensable vegetables in kitchens.
- It both protects and strengthens the liver. It prevents the liver from working slowly.
- It relieves constipation and protects it from harmful bacteria. It is effective in free radicals in the body.
- It protects eye health and prevents cataract formation. It reduces eye dryness.
- Thanks to the pro-collagen in the tomato, it keeps the skin young and tightens.
6) Charleston Pepper
- Green pepper, which contains vitamin C, is consumed as a vegetable and spice in meals. In addition, it is consumed as frying and tomato paste.
- Pepper, which has become very popular in world cuisine, is good for many diseases.
- It allows you to manage weight and is a vegetable that you can easily add to your diet.
- It reduces the onset of hypertension and heart disease and protects against these diseases.
- It is equipped with vitamins that strengthen the immune system.
- It renews the skin and delays aging by reducing wrinkles.
7) Kidney beans
- Kidney beans are one of the most consumed legumes grown in the Aegean region.
- It is consumed dried and wet. In this way, it can be consumed in all seasons.
- It is especially consumed with olive oil.
- It contains iron, zinc, calcium and vitamin E. It is also rich in protein.
- It helps to lose weight and protects colon health.
- It is very beneficial for diabetic patients.
- Shallot is a vegetable that can be used in almost all dishes.
- It tastes sweet, so it can be eaten raw.
- It fits perfectly with vegetable dishes.
- It is very beneficial for health with its nutrients and vitamins.
- A source of fiber and micronutrients is one of the vegetables.
- It reduces seasonal eye and nose allergic reactions.
- It supports heart health and blood circulation, thus reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Mulberry, which is a natural antibiotic; It is very rich in iron, calcium, vitamin B1, B2 and C.
- It is among the fruits that are loved and consumed around the world.
- Mulberry leaves can reduce insulin and high blood sugar.
- It has diuretic effect and blood builder effect.
- It is used to make sherbet, jam and fruit tarts.
- It relieves eyesight and eye strain.
- It prevents premature aging of the skin and reduces skin dryness.
9) Maltese Plum
- Maltese, which is among the fruits of May, is an ideal fruit for those who are on a diet.
- Its homeland is known as China, but it is also grown in Japan, Mediterranean countries and Europe.
- The kernel has diuretic properties. For this reason, it is effective in reducing kidney and bladder stones.
- It is rich in vitamin A, beneficial acids and antioxidants.
- Since it is a source of vitamin K, it allows you to have strong bones.
- It prevents colon cancer and shortens the residence time of toxic substances in the colon.
- Maltese can be consumed with yogurt and milk. It can be used in fruit salad and meals.