What is Strained Yogurt?
Strained yogurt is also known as strained yogurt. This type of yoghurt is formed as a result of filtering the milk fat obtained during the production process of normal yoghurt. As a result of this process, strained yoghurt has a denser structure and its protein content is higher. Strained yogurt contains less fat than other types of yogurt and may aid weight loss.
What are the Benefits of Strained Yogurt?
- Strained yogurt can help with weight loss as it contains less fat than other types of yogurt.
- It is easy to digest and therefore can reduce stomach upsets.
- Due to its high protein content, it can be a source of essential amino acids for the body and can aid muscle development.
- Since it contains probiotics, it may have effects on stomach and intestinal health.
- Its calcium content is higher than regular yogurt and may therefore contribute to bone health.
How to Make Strained Yogurt?
Strained yoghurt is formed as a result of filtering the milk fat obtained during the production process of normal yoghurt. First, the yoghurt yeast and milk are whisked and yoghurt cultures are added. After the kneading process of this mixture, the yogurt is filtered with the help of strainers and milk fat is removed. As a result of this process, strained yoghurt has a denser structure and its protein content is higher. Strained yogurt can also be made at home by following the steps below:
- First, put the milk in a saucepan and heat it over low heat. When the milk starts to boil, add the yoghurt yeast and mix.
- After adding the yogurt yeast, reduce the heat of the milk and add the yogurt cultures. Beat the mixture well and make it homogeneous.
- In the next step, cover and cover the pot with the covered cloth to increase the effect of the yogurt cultures. Meanwhile, boil a pot of water suitable for yogurt.
- Keep the pot warm in a suitable place for the yogurt to help the yogurt cook. For example, you can use a blanket that can retain heat.
- After the yogurt is cooked, strain it with the help of strainers. This process requires a bowl or strainer to help strain the yogurt. Continue this process as long as you want the yogurt to drain.
- Finally, remove the strained yogurt from the pot and cool. After cooling, store the yogurt in a container with a lid and store it in the refrigerator.
What to do with Strained Yogurt? In Which Meals Can Strained Yogurt Be Used?
Strained yogurt can be used in many dishes such as regular yogurt. For example:
- It can be used in salad dressings.
- It can be used to make mashed potatoes.
- It can be used in fruit smoothies.
- It can be used in cake and brownie mixes.
- It can be used in the preparation of desserts.
- It can be used in omelets and instead of eggs.
- It can be used as a yoghurt sauce for frying.
- It can be used in the inner mortar of pastries.
- It can be used as a yogurt sauce for meatballs.
- In addition, strained yogurt can be consumed as an appetizer and served with fruit or vegetables.
How to Store Strained Yogurt?
Strained yoghurt should be stored in a cold environment like regular yoghurt. Especially keeping it in the refrigerator preserves the freshness of the yogurt. If yoghurt is to be frozen, first of all, a few holes should be made in the yoghurt container so that the yoghurt does not thaw. Yogurt should be cut into small pieces with the help of a spoon or fork so that it does not thaw while freezing. Frozen yogurt can be kept in the freezer or placed in the refrigerator after thawing the yogurt.
Yogurt storage time may vary depending on the microorganisms in the yoghurt and the freshness of the fruit. Yogurt is recommended to be consumed after a period of time, depending on whether it is opened or not. If unopened yogurt is not consumed within the recommended times, the risk of spoilage increases. For this reason, the expiry date or production date on the label of the yogurt should be taken into account.
Is Strained Yogurt Yeast?
Yes, it becomes yeast from strained yogurt. Strained yoghurt helps the yeast to keep better. Yogurt will be thicker.